In September 2005 the Alliance and the New York State Nurses Association (NYSNA) completed a joint project to develop a specialized educational program for nurses related to organ and tissue donation. An expert panel developed the curriculum content and the New York State Department of Health provided funding support.
The training was launched at the fall 2005 NYSNA conference and is in both print and web-based formats with the following learning objectives:
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the need for organ and tissue donation.
- Discuss challenges regarding organ and tissue donation.
- Describe the process of organ transplant for the organ recipient.
- Identify the benefits of organ and tissue transplantation on the recipient.
- Discuss the laws and regulations that impact organ and tissue donation.
- Distinguish between cardiac death and brain death and how they relate to organ and tissue donation.
- Identify critical aspects of the consent process.
- Discuss the role of the registered nurse in organ and tissue donation including referral, donor management, recovery and aftercare.
This program has NYSNA approval for 3.4 contact hours of continuing education. Click here to learn more about NYSNA and this on-line course.